A Symposium for High School Students Interested in the Music Education Profession
The North Carolina Music Educators Association Young Professionals’ Symposium occurs during the NCMEA Annual Conference and provides junior and senior high school music students specifically tailored sessions and experiences.
Up to 25 applicants are accepted, and these individuals must meet four requirements:
- Create a satisfactory résumé of their musical activities,
- Complete an essay titled “My Musical Aspirations,”
- Receive outstanding recommendations from their high school music instructors, and
- Meet the application deadline.
Students may attend the symposium only once, if accepted, and no more than three students from the same school may apply in any particular year.
During the three-day symposium, participants are paired with NAfME Collegiate student mentors. Mentors accompany students to symposium sessions while providing valuable information about college and becoming a music major.
Students participate in mock college auditions and interviews where faculty members from several North Carolina institutions give individualized feedback and support. Participants also actively engage in choral or instrumental conducting sessions by conducting a predetermined piece with a collegiate ensemble.
Finally, all participants attend other specialized sessions encompassing a variety of topics, have dinner with a keynote speaker, attend the North Carolina High School Honors Chorus and Honors Orchestra Concerts, and visit booths in the exhibit hall to gather information about specific music education programs.
The Young Professionals’ Symposium is a valuable program that exposes and prepares them for the realities of an undergraduate degree program and a subsequent career in music education.
Chair: Lisa Qualls
A complete application for the Young Professionals’ Symposium must include the following:
- Completed YPS Student Application Form (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
- Letter of Recommendation (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) from High School Director
- Typed essay of 300 words maximum entitled, “My Musical Aspirations”
- Musical resume detailing musical accomplishments and experiences
- Deadline is October 2019
Become a YPS Mentor
For Collegiate NCMEA members, use the following form to apply to become a YPS mentor:
- YPS Mentor Application Form (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)