The Barbara Bair Scholarship is a one-time award of $2,000.00 and will be paid directly to the recipient and the college of choice at the beginning of the school year.
The scholarship is awarded to a graduating North Carolina high school senior who has been accepted by, and will be entering, a North Carolina college or university the following fall as a Music Education major. The applicant’s music teacher must be a current member of NCMEA/NAfME.
A completed scholarship application must be submitted online no later than midnight March 1. The scholarship winner will be recognized at the NCMEA Professional Development Conference in November.
Criteria and Application
The scholarship award will be based on the following:
- Musical Talent
- Disposition to teach music
- Academic standing
- Extra-curricular and curricular activities
- Interest and/or actual experience in teaching
The Barbara Bair Scholarship application shall consist of:
- List of musical activities which the applicant participated in during high school.
- Letter of recommendation from the music teacher.
- A digital recording of the applicant’s performance of three selections of varying styles.
- Essay on “Why I Want to Become a Music Educator.”
To all applicants:
Your teacher will need to send a letter of recommendation to the NCMEA office on school letterhead.
Please be aware you will need to upload a Word document or PDF describing the following activities, plus an additional essay with this form:
- Your HS musical activities
- Your extra-curricular and community activities
Also, you are required to provide three audio files of you performing in varying styles.