The Professional Development Grant is intended to provide funding to NCMEA members seeking to offer professional development activities specific to music education via an organized event for several teachers.
The total amount of funding requested from NCMEA may not exceed $3,200.00. No individual or activity will be awarded more than one grant within a three-year period. Every effort will be made by the committee to award the grant(s) equitably among sections of NCMEA.
(NOTE: This grant is not intended to provide funding to individual teachers to attend a professional development activity.)
Applicant(s) must have current membership in NCMEA. Preference will be given to active teachers in North Carolina. A teacher or group of teachers may apply in collaboration with a school system, arts organization, or higher education institution
The proposed professional development activity must:
- Meet the North Carolina Standards for Professional Learning.
- Address one or more music competency goals in the NC Essential Standards.
- Occur during the fiscal year following award and be made available at no cost to participants. (Some exceptions may be considered if the applicant notes reasons for participant fee in the grant application).
- All participating teachers must be NCMEA members.
- A written report assessing the outcome of the activity must be submitted to the Chair of the Professional Development Grant Award Committee within four (4) weeks of the stated completion date of the activity. Within the same period, a financial report with attached invoices reflecting all expenditures of funds for the activity should be submitted to the Executive Director.
- Applications must be submitted online by midnight March 15.
- Applications to open Feb. 1, 2021.
- Application Deadline is March 15.
- Funds will be used in the following fiscal year (for ex. July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022).
- A committee appointed by the NCMEA President and approved by the NCMEA Board of Directors will review applications for possible approval. Priority will be given to professional development activities that will result in the improvement of teachers’ instructional competencies.
- Prior to the Spring Board meeting, the committee will forward the approved application(s) to the Executive Director. In preparing the budget, the Finance Committee will make a recommendation to the NCMEA Board for approval at the Spring meeting.
- The Executive Director shall notify all applicants of their acceptance or rejection following the board meeting. The successful candidate(s) will be required to make a written request for the funds prior to the beginning of the project.
Besides providing details about the project desired, please be aware you will need to provide a budget as well. We recommend you have all your information ready before filling out the online form.