The Ruth Jewell scholarship is awarded to a Music Education major who is a resident of North Carolina attending a North Carolina college or university. The scholarship is a one-time award $2,000.00 and will be paid in a lump sum to the recipient and the college or university at the beginning of the recipient’s senior year.
A completed scholarship application must be submitted online no later than midnight March 1. The scholarship winner will be recognized at the NCMEA Professional Development Conference in November.
Criteria and Application
The scholarship award will be based on the following:
- Applicants must be a Music Education major who is a resident of North Carolina attending a North Carolina college or university.
- Applicant must have maintained a 2.8 academic average on a 4.0 scale, or a 1.8 average on a 3.0 scale
- Musical talent
- Service to school and community
- Academic achievement
- Financial need
The Ruth Jewell Scholarship application shall consist of:
- Copy of official College/University transcript.
- List of musical activities in which applicant participated in high school.
- List of musical activities during applicant’s college career including positions in ensembles, solo performances and offices held in music fraternities or CNAfME.
- Essay describing reasons for entering the field of music education.
- Applicant must be recommended by the Music Department Chair or Dean.
To all applicants:
Besides sending your official transcript to the NCMEA office, please be aware you will need to upload a Word document or PDF detailing these three criteria, plus an additional essay with this form:
- List of HS musical activities, awards, etc.
- List of collegiate musical activities, awards, etc.
- List of scholarships/grants received, or expect to receive, and other financial needs