Constitution and By-Laws of the NCMEA Orchestra Section
Updated November 2015
ARTICLE I – NAME AND RELATIONSHIPS
Section 1. Name: The name of the organization shall be the NCMEA Orchestra Section.
Section 2. Relationships: This organization shall be the official orchestra organization of the North Carolina Music Educators Association, a department of the North Carolina Association of Educators affiliated with the National Association for Music Education.
ARTICLE II – OBJECTIVE AND FUNCTIONS
Section 1. Objective: The objective of this organization shall be to work within the framework of the North Carolina Music Educators Association and its affiliates to advance the cause of public and nonpublic school orchestra programs throughout the state. It shall cooperate with other sections of the North Carolina Music Educators Association in planning and carrying out such activities.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Any individual who is actively engaged in directing orchestras or teaching orchestral instruments and who is a currently enrolled member of NCMEA is eligible for membership.
Section 2. All membership shall conform to Article I of the NCMEA Bylaws.
Section 3. Both active and retired members have the right to vote and hold office.
ARTICLE IV – STATE GOVERNMENT
Section 1. The elected officers shall be a Chair, Chair-Elect, Delegate and Secretary.
Section 2. The Board of Directors shall consist of the elected officers and the immediate Past-Chair, as well as the Chair of the Eastern and Western Regions.
Section 3. Vacancies in any elected office shall be filled upon the recommendation of the Chair or Acting Chair, by and at the discretion of the Board of Directors, until an election for the unexpired term is held at the next general meeting.
Section 4. The Chair will appoint the Webmaster, the Music Librarian, and any other needed positions within the Section.
ARTICLE V – STATE ELECTIONS
Section 1. The Chair-Elect and Secretary shall be elected by vote in even-numbered years at the NCMEA Professional Development Conference. Upon completion of a two-year term, the Chair-Elect shall automatically accede to the office of Chair. The Delegate shall be elected by vote in odd-numbered years at the NCMEA Professional Development Conference for a two-year term.
Section 2. Nominations for Chair-Elect, Delegate, and Secretary may be made by any active member from the floor.
ARTICLE VI – STATE MEETINGS
Section 1. The Orchestra Section will hold its general business meeting on Sunday during the NCMEA In-Service Conference.
Section 2. Additional meetings may be called by the Chair, subject to confirmation by the Board of Directors.
Section 3. The Board of Directors shall meet at the call of the Chair and should meet prior to any general business meeting.
ARTICLE VII – QUORUM
Section 1. A quorum shall consist of active and retired members who are present at any business meeting.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS, BY-LAWS, AND POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Section 1. The Constitution may be amended with the approval of two-thirds of the membership present at the general business meeting.
Section 2. By-laws may be modified with the approval of two-thirds of the membership present at any general business meeting.
Section 3. Policies and procedures may be modified by a simple majority of the membership present at any general business meeting or by the Board of Directors, if deemed necessary.
Section 4. Proposed amendment or modifications to by-laws, policies and procedures must be submitted to the Chair at least thirty (30) days prior to a scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors. The Chair will present the proposed amendments, by-laws, and policies and procedures to the Board of Directors to determine if a recommendation will be made to the membership. Upon recommendation, voting will occur at the general meeting following the amendment’s first reading.
ARTICLE IX- REGIONAL GOVERNMENT, ELECTIONS, AND MEETINGS
Section 1. The elected officers for the East and West Regions shall be a Region Chair, Region Chair-Elect, Region Past-Chair, and a Region Secretary. All other positions, ie: Region Treasurer, will be appointed by the Region Chair.
Section 2. The Region Chair, Region Chair-Elect, and Region Secretary shall be elected by vote in odd numbered years at the fall regional business meetings. The terms for Region Chair, Region Chair-Elect, and Region Secretary are two years.
Section 3. The Eastern and Western Regions will hold regional business meetings each year. The meetings may be face-to-face or electronic.
ARTICLE I – DUTIES OF STATE OFFICERS
Section 1. Chair: The Chair shall serve as the senior officer of the NCMEA Orchestra section. He/she shall:
- Attend all meetings by the NCMEA Board of Directors.
- Submit written and oral reports to the NCMEA Executive Board.
- Provide the Editor of the North Carolina Music Educator with developments in the orchestra section.
- Organize and coordinate annual NCMEA in-service conference orchestra section meetings, including obtaining clinicians and performing groups.
- Oversee and assist with arrangements for the All-State Honors Orchestra functions.
- Enforce All-State Honors Orchestra policies and procedures in conjunction with the Chair Elect.
- Submit completed required reports as requested by the conference coordinator in a timely manner.
- Prepare and submit a budget for the Orchestra Section.
- Preside over appropriate sessions at the In-Service Conference.
- Call and preside over general Orchestra Section meetings.
- Appoint officers to fill unexpired terms, should a vacancy occur.
- Coordinate yearly calendar of events in the North Carolina Music Educator and the orchestra section website.
- Procure a slate of nominees for positions to be filled and appoints committees, as needed.
- Be responsible for the revisions to the Orchestra Section Constitution and Bylaws.
- Approve budget requests and disbursements, and handle other financial matters within the Orchestra Section.
- Assume or delegate the responsibilities listed in the NCMEA Handbook under officers’ duties, as well as all responsibilities not otherwise specified.
- Coordinate the selection of the region teachers’ of the year.
- Appoint a webmaster.
Section 2. Chair-Elect: In addition to performing all of the duties of the Chair during his/her absence, the Chair-Elect is responsible for the planning and organization of the All-State Honors Orchestra to be held each year at the NCMEA In-Service Conference. These specific duties are described under Policies and Procedures.
Section 3. Delegate:
- Attend all meetings by the NCMEA Board of Directors.
- Assist the Chair in submitting written and oral reports to the NCMEA Executive Board.
- Assist the Chair in providing the Editor of the North Carolina Music Educator with developments in the orchestra section.
- Assist the Chair in organizing and coordinating annual NCMEA Professional Development Conference Orchestra Section meetings, including obtaining clinicians and performing groups.
- Collaborate with the Chair to coordinate yearly calendar of events in the North Carolina Music Educator and the orchestra section website.
- Coordinate the selection of the region teachers of the year and report the information to the State Chair.
- Update and share historical documents for the Orchestra Section on the website, including past Region Orchestra repertoire, past Teachers of the Year, and past sight-reading pieces.
Section 4. Secretary: The Secretary shall keep a record of all meetings. He/she shall submit a copy of the minutes of all general meetings to the Chair of the Orchestra Section and the Webmaster within 30 days of each meeting. He/she shall also assist the Chair and Chair-elect with duties related to communication with the section membership.
Section 5. Past-Chair: The immediate Past-Chair shall serve as consultant to the Chair and shall perform such other duties as are assigned by the Chair and the Board of Directors.
Section 6. Board of Directors: The Board of Directors shall be responsible for the business management of the Section; answer questions, make rulings and interpret matters of policy for the Section; report to the Section the rules it has passed and the actions it has taken; carry out all of the provisions and duties ascribed to it by the Constitution and By-laws. All actions shall stand unless altered by a later vote of the membership.
Section 7. Webmaster: The Orchestra Section Chair will appoint the position of Webmaster. The Webmaster will receive a stipend of $300.00 per year plus expenses as approved in advance by the Orchestra Section Chair. Duties of the webmaster include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining a professional website, free of advertisements, personal references, or inappropriate materials.
- Performing regular maintenance on the website as needed.
- Adding and removing links, documents and other materials from the website promptly.
- Maintaining close communication with Event Chairs and the Orchestra Section Chair regarding changes to the website.
Section 8. Music Librarian: The Orchestra Section Chair will appoint the position of Music Librarian. The Music Librarian will receive a stipend of $200.00 per year plus expenses as approved in advance by the Orchestra Section Chair. Duties of the music librarian include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining all music owned by NCMEA, including music purchased by all region and jr. region orchestras, as well as the MPA sight-reading pieces.
- Stamping, cataloging and utilizing an efficient checkout system that will enable any NCMEA orchestra teacher to borrow music.
- Sending an updated list of music to webmaster to publish on website.
- Maintaining close communication with borrowers to ensure all music gets returned in a timely manner.
ARTICLE II – RULES OF ORDER
Section 1. Roberts Rules of Order (revised) shall govern all business meetings of the Section in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Constitution and By-laws of this Section or of the North Carolina Music Educators Association.
ARTICLE III – REGION LINES
Section 1. Eastern and Western Regions: The dividing line between the Eastern and Western regions is as follows: beginning at the North Carolina/Virginia border and going south—Stokes-Rockingham County line, Alamance-Orange County line, Davidson-Randolph County line, Stanley-Montgomery County line, Anson-Richmond County line.