2021 Jazz All-State Information
The Clinic and Concert will be held Sunday, May 23 at 3:00PM
Broughton High School
723 St. Mary’s Street
Raleigh, NC 27605
Parking at Broughton:
You will likely be coming from Wade Avenue to St. Mary’s Street as you drive in. This will bring you to the back of the school first. Go past the back of the school until you get to the last entrance before Peace Street. Pull in that entrance and park anywhere available. Registration will be at the entrance on the right side of the bell tower.
- Rehearsals run from 9-1 and the concerts start at 3 pm.
- Students should be prepared with instrument masks and bell covers per NCMEA Covid requirements. Masks and bell covers will be required at all times, even during outdoor rehearsals. Audience members will not be required to wear masks while watching the concert unless we have to be indoors. Masks are required for everyone inside WCPSS school buildings at all times.
- Students should have received and have been practicing their music for the clinic already. If you are missing music, please contact me for HS and Kevin Kimbrough for MS. Do this ASAP so students can be prepared!
- Please bring music with them to the clinic!
- Students should bring their own equipment to the clinic (drumsets, sticks/mallets, amps, chords, etc.) If you have a question about this, please email me ASAP! I will have vibes on campus for our vibe players! Please don’t forget that both bands are meeting on Friday, 5/21 from 5:30-8 pm virtually.
- HIGH SCHOOL students also have a scheduled time to meet in small groups with Dr. Ketch on Saturday. Be sure they have filled out the form with their email address so he can send the zoom link to them! If there is a conflict, I will need to know ASAP so we can address that with Dr. Ketch. That schedule is found in the folders of music I shared with you.
- It is looking like it will be very warm this weekend in Raleigh (predicted high of 90!). We are working on some options for shade, etc for rehearsals and performance, but please tell kids to be prepared.
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Hats/sunglasses would be advisable
- Chapstick, sunscreen
- Water Bottle
- Concert Dress should plan to be weather-appropriate and professional!
- Students MUST be accompanied by a chaperone during the clinic. That can be the Director (which is our preference) or a parent. Please remember, like other NCMEA events, the director should have clearance from the state chair if they will not be in attendance, and must have an approved replacement.
Remember we stated if the weather became an issue, then we would need to take the clinic inside to our auditorium and band room, where students can socially distance themselves. Heat falls under the category of a weather event, and because it is predicted to be 90 degrees on Saturday, I have had to plan for that possibility. Please know that we are bound by certain heat restrictions and requirements per Wake County School System, NCMEA, and my principal. If we hit certain temperatures, then we will be required to go inside for the concert and potentially part of the rehearsals. This is a non-negotiable from my administration and is in place to keep students safe throughout the event. This is also a call we won’t be able to make until the day of the event. If your student is not able to join us knowing that an inside performance is a possibility, please let us know immediately so we can try to fill the spot.
Our goal, of course, is to have the clinic and concert outside as planned. Hopefully, that will happen, but we want to eliminate as many surprises as possible on the day of!
Margie Harrison – Site Chair
Kevin Young – Jazz Section Chair