Submission Deadlines and Feature Schedule
Deadline: June 1 (arrives in July)
Features: Elementary, Orchestra, Advocacy
Deadline: August 1 (arrives in October)
Items pertaining to Conference
Deadline: December 1 (arrives in January)
Features: Research, Choral (HS & MS), Band
Deadline: March 1 (arrives in April)
Technology, Jazz, Higher Education
Editorial Policy and Submission Guidelines
The North Carolina Music Educator contains timely and important information related to music education in the state. Copies are mailed to active professional and student members of the North Carolina Music Educators Association, the National Association for Music Educators (NAfME) affiliated state organization, including retired and lifetime members.
- The North Carolina Music Educator publishes solicited and unsolicited materials at the discretion of the editor. Solicited material is given first priority, followed by unsolicited materials written by NCMEA members. Unsolicited materials will be approved by the NCMEA Publications Committee.
- Articles written to promote a commercial enterprise will be treated as an advertisement and will not be published. For information regarding advertising in the Journal, please click here. INSERT HYPERLINK http://www.ncmea.net/programs/music-educator-journal/advertising/
- Submitted articles may be edited for length, style, substance, structure, grammar, and spelling.
- Opinions expressed in articles, news items and updates do not necessarily represent the views of the editor, the North Carolina Music Educator, or the North Carolina Music Educators Association.
- Materials submitted for publication will not be returned.
- Once an original article is included in the North Carolina Music Educator, copyright belongs to the North Carolina Music Educator. Permission to reprint articles in other MEA journals and NAfME journals and Spotlight Series books may be granted by the North Carolina Music Educator editor.
Guidelines for Article Submission
- Articles should focus on topics pertaining to music education at any level and of interest to music educators, and not exceed 800 words. Articles should be new, original works, not previously published.
- Articles should be engaging to the reader, conversational in style, and written in the present tense.
- All articles should: include a title, be single spaced and written in 12 point font. Only files saved as .doc, .docx, or .rtf formats will be accepted.
- Articles of a research nature should include proper references, footnotes and bibliography in APA style.
- Authors should include a bio of no more than 150 words to be included with published articles.
- Authors must include their contact information.
- When applicable, pictures and captions may be included to compliment the article. Pictures must be sent as separate JPEG files, not embedded in the article. The author must obtain and submit to the editor written authorization to include images of minor children from parents/guardians.
- NCMEA reserves the right to edit all submissions. Manuscripts deemed too lengthy may be divided into a series of articles across two or more issues.
- Submissions should be sent to Journal Editor Kim Justen at [email protected]